Headaches? Your Doctor Can Help You More Than You Think

Treatment Options For Snapping Hip Syndrome & Bursitis

If you feel an annoying, painful, clicking sensation in your hip when you walk, stand from a seated position, or swing your leg, you may have what is called snapping hip syndrome along with bursitis. This condition occurs when a tendon or muscle moves over a bony jut in your hip. Snapping hip causes a painful condition called bursitis, which is the swelling of the bursa (a sac that cushions a joint). 

If you don't feel pain when it happens, you likely will in time unless you get treatment for it now. Fortunately, snapping hip can be effectively treated. Here's how. 

Corticosteroid Injection 

If your primary concern is the pain of the condition, a corticosteroid injection into the hip bursa can help reduce the pain. However, since the tendon is near and corticosteroids can weaken tendons, it's crucial for the physician to use ultrasound to guide the injection into the right place. This treatment is done within minutes but may take hours or days until the pain starts to subside. Your physician will give you a recommended time frame to return for subsequent injections, if necessary until the bursitis has resolved. 

Physical Therapy

Physical therapy can help stretch the muscles and tendons around the hip. Of course, if you are having pain from bursitis, this will be difficult to do until you have an interventional injection of corticosteroid. Because of this, it's a good idea to wait until your pain has subsided before starting physical therapy. A physical therapist will guide you through some exercises that you will be able to do in the comfort of your home.

As an example, one of the exercises that helps with this condition is called an iliotibial band stretch. To do this exercise, you will stand with your legs crossed and lean the hip of the rear leg to the side. Hold this position for about 30 seconds then repeat on the other hip. Do this next to a wall or other structure for support. 


If a combination of corticosteroid injections and physical therapy doesn't help, you may need surgical intervention via arthroscopic surgery. The surgery involves lengthening or relaxing the problem tendon and, although rarely done, to remove the bursa, if necessary. Since surgery is the last resort, it's important to perform the physical therapy exercises at home as often as prescribed and get corticosteroid injections to help you do so. To learn more, contact a company like Joel D Stein DO PA today.